Thursday, August 17, 2017

Encaustic Paintings

I finally took the plunge and took a class from Linda Robertson in Portland, OR this past weekend. She went through the entire set up and how to do encaustic from start to finish. It was so much fun. I have to say I thought I would become frustrated with the unpredictability of the wax but she explained so much that the frustration never materialized!

You can visit Linda Robertson's website at lindarobertsonarts.com. She has a variety of workshops and other great information, including books and learning videos at her site. Be sure to check it out!

I then did some shopping and today, all of my encaustic supplies are showing up! I will be rearranging my studio to make this new introduction into my artistic way of life. I'm in the middle of doing a series of paintings for the Makers5 Four Eights show in Sherwood, OR this fall. But I think I will do a few encaustics this weekend to see how I do!

Here are pics of the first two paintings I did while at Linda's class.

 This painting is a 6x6 on birch board. Just a little coastal wave action.

Also a 6x6 on ampersand encausticbord. Another coastal/island scene.

Linda showed us what a typical set up looks like. Wax to the left (if you are right handed), all tools are handy and a lamp to view the wax at an angle.

A couple of different substrates - encausticboard and plain wood.


Linda in her studio - she's an awesome instructor!!

Another photo of the wax on the pancake griddle - stayin' warm!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words Telva! I'm excited that you're planing to do more work with wax and I can't wait to see what your create next. Isn't it fun to open all of the supply boxes? I'm doing that this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, Thanks for stopping by! Did my first encaustic today on my own of a some koi underwater. I'll post pictures once it's dry. Wow - I was amazed at how much the wax moves when heated - by heat gun or torch!

    ReplyDelete